Perfect for a dinner party. I brought the goat cheese rolled in walnuts to the host’s, ready to heat, in case we weren’t eating right away, which, often, at dinner parties, you don’t.
When persimmons are out of season, I use peaches, but persimmons are in season now and I’ve got a beauty waiting for this (for 1 person), because this salad is one of the most delicious and unique. So fresh, and you can often find pomegranate seeds for sale in juice or frozen section so you don’t have to run the risk of ruining your sink. Not sure why they say optional on the balsamic, I wouldn’t make it without, it adds texture and caramely taste to the dressing.
Serves 4-6. Hat tip, food.com.
1⁄2 cup pomegranate juice
2 tablespoons walnut oil or 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (optional)
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1⁄2 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
2 -4 ounces soft fresh goat cheese
fresh ground pepper
1⁄2 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped
12 cups spinach or 12 cups other lettuce
2 fuyu persimmons, peeled and cut into wedges
1 pomegranate, seeded (can often be purchased, prepared, in juice or frozen sections)
fresh basil (optional)
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- After salad ingredients are prepped, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Form goat cheese into 1/2 oz. balls, top with freshly ground pepper, and roll in walnuts to coat.
4. Assemble salad with greens, persimmons, pomegranate seeds, and basil.
5. Just before serving, warm the goat cheese in the oven for about 3 minutes.
6. Toss salad with dressing. Plate, carefully top with warm goat cheese, and enjoy!